Saturday, November 21, 2009

Sadness

Our sermon two weeks ago was about sadness. It really stuck out to me because in this economy and in this season of life, many people are dealing with sadness. Thankfully as Christians we have HOPE!

Here is the outline of the sermon
1. Know that God is aware of our sadness.

In this day and age...we start to have an "All or nothing" attitude.
For example “I NEVER get what I want.” Really. NEVER?
Or how about this one…
“We never have ANY money” ok now...really?
Why do we always seem to call out the bad, but never remember the good that we do have?
I see how easily we can get caught in this “all or nothing” type mindset.

2. Meditate on the graciousness of God.

Romans 8:28 “For we know that all things work together for the good for those who love God, to those who are called according to his purpose”
God knows our heart…our inner most thoughts. He knows we are hurting.

3. Glorify God to others because He is our hope.

Job 13:15 “Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him; I will surely defend my ways to his face.”
If you guys don’t know the story of Job, then I suggest you read up on him! I took a whole class dedicated to him at Biola.

Job was a man dedicated to God. The devil told God that Job was only dedicated to him because Job had everything, he didn’t suffer. God was sure that even if Job were suffering, that job would remain faithful. God killed all of Jobs kids, took away all of jobs Money and land, and made him sick. His friends and his wife thought for sure that Job had sinned...but did he? No. Through all of his hardships, Job remained faithful and never cursed God.

If Job could do it, can’t we?

If we truly step back and look at all the things in our life, we will find that we are truly blessed. So things aren’t going our way right now, Gods timing is perfect.

2 comments:

justanotherManda said...

I needed to hear that right now. Thanks for posting that!

Becky said...

I am blessed! =) Sounds like it was an awesome sermon.